Thursday, October 26, 2006

LESSON 8: Money Isn't Nothing.

Like many sorta-liberal, sorta-hippie, independent NYC gals in their early 30s, I never wanted to believe a wealthy man was the key to a happy life. On the contrary, in fact. I have dated enough moneybags to know, they’re more trouble than they’re worth. In short, I’ve always found that money often equals freaky, weird, fucked-up.

BUT I also knew I couldn't live with poor.

My career has never ever been the driving force of my life. However, in the last few years, I’ve established one. A decent one, actually. These days, I could easily take care of myself, a small child and even a cute puppy, if one found its way under the Christmas tree. But even in my pre-working girl days of fun, travel and freelance, I managed to live decently, never incurring debt nor sleeping on too many couches (some i admit). Overall, I lived within my means, one pizza slice at a time. Sure, I couldn't afford a lot of banana pudding from Magnolia but I had my basic needs covered. And then, a few years ago, I knew I wanted more. So I got myself a real job. Do I cheer when I wake up every morning to go to work? No. Do I ask for sleepless nights dreaming up the big idea for a reinsurance company? No. Can I live with it, because I’m a grown-up who can take care of myself and contribute to something, anything other than my self-involved self? Yes, sadly.

My point: if you want a grown-up relationship, don't get involved with a pauper. Generally speaking, people who can take care of themselves, financially and emotionally, are more likely to have the bandwidth and ability to support another person—and I'm not talking about financially. Wanna be in a well-balanced relationship? Don't get involved with someone raiding your couch for lunch money.

You may wonder how I define "poor". I actually think of it as more a state of mind than circumstancial. Meaning a 27-year-old creative writing grad student with ambition and potential is very different than a 45-year-old career Dominos pizza delivery boy. And of course, we all have our individual definitions. After the age of 26, I could no longer date another struggling actor. But then again, that probably had nothing to do with the money thing.

Ultimately, you're gonna do what you want to get to where you're going. And hopefully, you'll learn lots of good stuff a long the way. But at the very least, heed my advice: Stay away from actors*—however poor or wealthy. Don't say, I didn't warn you.

*you know the kind

8 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course, this essays calls to mind a corolary lesson I learned: never MARRY a wealthy woman... regardless of your own wherewithal.

But that's another twisted tale for another day.

 
At 7:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this post. I've said the same thing many, many times and gotten such an overwhelming response to posts like this from both sides of the fence. Relationships and marriages are most successful when played on a level field. Period.

 
At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had previously been married to a wealthy man who turned out to be a contolling, abusing, drug addict.
I am now very deeply in love with a man who can support himself and we together could support any children we may decide to have in the future, he is no pizza delivery boy nor is he a CEO, he is just a man making a decent living. We are indeed on a level playing field, and as a result our lives do not revolve around materialism. They revolve around enjoying everything life has to offer, including experiencing each other

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger Jewish Mamale said...

you are now officially a link on my blog

 
At 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since your blog is about dating..I started a FREE online dating site...just wanted to spread the word!

www.Singleshunt.com

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi everyone,

I just designed a new dating website that I hope you will enjoy. It will go live in about 2 months.

Meet-n-speak.com

I put a new twist to online dating--the ability to speak to other members--right from your own computer.

If you find someone you like, you can request to voice chat with them if they are online.


All you need is a mic and headphones.

There is no cost. Ever! 100% free.

check it out!

Again, I am going live in 2 months but I want to have members create their profiles beforehand.

Have fun!

Thanks!

 
At 8:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to hear what you think of "virtual dating"? It is so hard for me to decide who to get my hair done for and go meet somewhere, or who to pass... I found a site www.omnidate.com (Still new but who cares... its still free :)) that has nice virtual places to meet your online dates. What’s your take on meeting someone virtually?

 
At 2:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How To Pick Up Women. The Secrets You Need To Know.

Why do some guys get all the girls? There is a fine art in how to pick up women. Once you know these tips you too can have the babes of your dreams. Your dating life will never be the same again. Read on for all the essential clues in how to pick up women.

The secret in how to pick up women is all about the total package. Make sure that you follow all these tips for the ultimate success in how to pick up women.

Confidence: Women are drawn to guys who appear confident and know where they are going. You need to be able to project some level of self confidence to be successful in how to pick up women. Do not appear to be scared or intimidated by the girls.

Sense of humor: A vital component in how to pick up women. Over 90% of females rate a good sens e of humor in a man as being more important than looks and money. Lighten up and learn how to laugh and your campaign in how to pick up woman will become much easier.

Well dressed: First impressions are vital in how to pick up women. If you do not pass the first visual examination, she will never talk to you.

Clean: Another secret in how to pick up women is to remember that the majority of girls are put off by bad hygiene. A shower, deodorant, toothpaste, clean hair and fingernails, are minimum requirements in how to pick up women.

Relaxed: The more relaxed you are, the more attractive you become. You will never succeed in how to pick up women if you appear desperate and dateless. The secret in how to pick up women is to remember that there are plenty of other fish in the ocean.

Alpha male behavior: The alpha male is the sexually dominant leader in any environment, including the singles bar and parties. He is the dude with the girls hangi ng off him. He gives the appearance of being the natural leader. By adapting the traits of the alpha male you will increase your chances to 100% in how to pick up women.

No old pick up lines: The best tip in how to pick up women is to remember that girls hate tired old pick up lines. They have heard them all before. If you can't think of something amusing to say, then just stick to basic conversation. A secret in how to pick up women is to remember that a girl would prefer a normal conversation to corny jokes.

Smile: Smiles are like magnets and this should be remembered in how to pick up women. Smiles are extremely hard to resist and you should use this to your advantage in your new campaign in how to pick up women.

Listen: Girls find men who will listen a major turn on. Pay the girl some attention and you will be surprised.

Compliments: Sincere flattery is appreciated by all girls. Sleazy comments on physical attributes are not.

Eye contact Maintaining eye contact with a girl is another secret clue in how to pick up women. By not looking her in the eye, you are giving the impression of being furtive and untrustworthy, even if you are only just shy.

Watch your success with the hot babes soar. By using these tips you will have all the secrets in how to pick up women

Read More....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home